Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Scarlet fever

Out of the blue, Gavin took on a red rash. Much to everyone's surprize, it was scarlet fever. I am happy to report that he seems to be responding to treatment and is back to being a cheerful and very busy two year old.
However, it did remind me of the good old days when scarlet fever attacked the Little family in Des Moines, Iowa. First was my oldest brother - thirteen years of age. My Dad and my oldest sister were allowed to escape to stay with friends for four weeks. Jeanne was approaching fifteen. My Mother, brothers Ralph(12) and Don (8) and I(10) were housebound for three weeks. Howard was really quite sick and among problems, he took up sleep walking. The results were that Mother had to wipe down every doorhandle with Lysol every morning. That is truly the extent of my memories of that time. Howard, by the way, was housebound for four weeks.
Then, two or three weeks late, sister Jeanne was diagnosed with scarlet fever and while the Doctor was at the house, he decided that I, also, had joined the ranks because I had a slightly sore throat. Back to isolation from the world. Once again, Dad moved out of the house. And there was Mother, once again house bound with all five of her kids - and even worse (for me) Jeanne and I had to stay in bed for three of the four weeks. Jeanne was sicker than I - actually, I never ran a fever or felt sick but I was diagnosed and that was all there was too it. I had to spend the same three weeks in bed and another week getting my strength back.
Both times there was a large yellow sign on our front door warning the world that it was dangerous to enter our abode.
I have often wondered how Mother survived the spring of 1936.

No comments: