Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day

 

All three of my brothers were in the Army during or just after World War II. Although Howard was the oldest, Ralph was the first to go in. I believe he was drafted when he was nineteen. About all I know is that he was in the "Battle of the Bulge" and claims he was behind the front lines because by some stroke of good fortune he was a "radio man". Howard, the oldest, was not drafted because he was working on one of my Dad's farms - at some point, though, he did end up in the Army. He was stationed at Beale Airforce Base and was enjoying a night on the town in Grass Valley when he and others discovered there was no way back to Beale - so they "stole" a bus and Howard got them all back on time. He also spent time in the Pacific war zone but I believe the war was over by then. Don dropped out of HS and enlisted in the Army - both of my parents were quite distraught. I really know nothing about his time in the Army - the war was over so there was no battle duty. Shamefully, that just about covers my knowledge of my brothers service days. One more memory, my shock at the picture that Ralph sent home in which he is smoking a - CIGAR!! Ever so shocking!!!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: