Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Happy kids - sad goat!

As you can see, this picture was taken in 1931. Younger brother, Don sitting by me and Older brother Ralph standing. I was 5 1/2, Don two years yournger and Ralph two years older. I always loved this picture. I had, however, thought it was more depression related - I guess it was on the verge of a depression. Anyhow, a man led his goat around with that darling cart and hoped to earn some money taking pictures of darling children sitting in the darling cart.
Recalling this great adventure reminded me of the door to door encyclopedia salesman. In my memory we were gathered on the front porch listening to his spiel and ever so hopeful that mother would buy a set of encyclopedias - we had a fifty year old set that a neighbor had given us but a shiny new set had such appeal. Anyhow, back to the salesman - he decided to enchant us with a story about a snake that consumed a nest full of baby chickens whole. A most amazing thing happened to that snake according to this man (in our eyes he had to know everything because he sold encyclopedias) - the baby chickens legs popped through the snake and he walked on them. Of course, I clearly envisioned the twelve pairs of baby chicken legs all in a row - quite neatly, of course!
Sharing my story with friends reminded one of them of a story his grandmother had told him about a snake swallowing all the eggs in a hens nest whole - his grandmother retrieved all the eggs but one (it broke) - the snake did not survive her retrival method.

3 comments:

Richard said...

Poor snakey!

Janet said...

Ha, what a wonderful picture!
I had fun picturing the snake with legs :)

Shellie said...

I love this picture... and the story. Thanks for sharing!