Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Good Morning,
Ah, a day and a half of beautiful weather ahead and then out with the rain gear and the warm jackets. We certainly need a good soaking rain and it sounds like that is coming.
So it will put a "damper" on Halloween - that is too bad. I was sharing some of my Halloween memories with Karen and will amaze you all with my stories. But first, an incredible memory of Halloween last year when I went "Trick or Treating" with Terry - that was very special. Back to memories - we started making the rounds about a week before Halloween. That was normal - how things have changed in seventy plus years. We did not say "Trick or Treat" - our chant included mentioning the use of saop - in fact, it was a threat - give us some candy or we will soap your screens or windows. Yes, we did carry soap with us.
We were all scared of a neighbor down the street as rumor had it that Mr. Simms would come to the door with a shotgun in hand - we skipped that house.
I am ashamed to admit that I did, at least once, standby while my brothers let air out of the tires of a car parked along the street. I rather imagine that this happened other times but I truly have just the one specific memory. However, we never filled garbage cans with water and propped them against the front door and thenknocked and ran. This did happen.
I really marvel that our parents allowed us such freedom - while we certainly were safe on the streets the whole week had to be somewhat of a nightmare for most families. We did cover alot of territory - never going to the same house twice. I have no memory of ever using the soap - not that I was even almost a goody twoshoes - it was probably the lack of courage.
Enuf rambling - Love to one and all - M/G

1 comment:

Karen said...

I have a few halloween memories -- like the chicken costume which was really a sweater and pants, but you sewed real chicken feathers all around the neck. Or the year that Rick Moody and I went to the church party as Adam and Eve -- complete with real fig leaves sewed to our clothes (we couldn't sit down in the car).
I did ask Barry's Mom about her memories of Halloween in Des Moines. She knew of people who threatened to soap doors and screens and windows, but like you, she never tried it herself.
PS You have a very interesting and readable writing style! I like it!