Sunday, September 13, 2009

Ice cream cones and five years old boys

Terry came to spend the night with me - so, as a special treat, we went down to Rite Aid to get ice cream cones. His choice - probably the most atrocious ice cream I have ever seen - it was called cotton candy and it was in extremely wild colors - like fushia, purple and blue all sort of mixed together. Ugh So, we attacked our ice cream cones as we walked around looking at all the marvelous Halloween decorations. And then, his cone began to drip out the bottom. So, we went outside - things went from bad to much worse. So back in to get a "bowl" and a spoon - at that point he had no further interest in his ice cream cone and it is now in my freezer. Lesson learned - to not get ice cream in sugar cones for young kids - that pointed bottom too easily becomes an outlet for melting ice cream. Will I remember this bit of wisdom - no, never. Shock of the day - it cost $2.78 for two cones. When I was a girl we often went for "rides" on Sunday afternoons and stopped for ice cream cones along the way - five kids and two adults - all of 35cents! Flavor choices - well, vanilla, chocolate, strawberry and butter brickle.

2 comments:

Richard said...

I remember your tolerance in purchasing licorice ice cream for me in the Los Altos Hills days (purchased elsewhere of course).

I don't think there is any ice cream with more potential for disaster than licorice ice cream.

Shellie said...

I remember in 1974 you could STILL get one scoop for 5 cents at Thrifty's... and just down the way was Swensen's for 55 cents a scoop!