Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Me - part of the Greatest Generation?

Being rather slow minded it just hit me this morning that I am truly part of the greatest generation. So, how did World War 2 affect me? Well, it did cause a shortage of guys - well, that is tragic when you are a teenager! Now and then a bunch of us rode in a truck to dance with soldiers at some nearby base. One time, a young soldier and I enjoyed each other so much that we wrote to each other for a long time - I never knew if he survived the war or not. The WAAC's began their training at Fort Des Moines - there were quite mixed feelings about women in the Army. My two years at college were minus the usual Fraternity guys - again, it just wasn't fair to all us self-centered girls. I only knew one fellow that was killed in action - he was my date for the great night on the town following graduation. One of the guys from church had a severe arm injury. Oh, yes, I was in charge of selling "stamps" in my highschool homeroom - ten cents each, you filled a book and had enough to buy a War Bond. I also volunteered at the USO - and really enjoyed having the really thick chocolate for sundaes at my disposal - and dispose I did! All in all, I realize now how dreadfully self-centered teenage girls are - worried about my two brothers in the Army - no, not really. O.K. - I was part of the "Greatest Generation" but only by age.

2 comments:

Shellie said...

Great story, Mom.. thanks for sharing!

Richard said...

Are you going to pull a Grandma Irene on us and marry your high school sweetheart ???

Inquiring (and easily amused) minds want to know.