Tuesday, November 24, 2009

A Historic Day!!

It is hard to believe that fifty-two years ago Shellie made a grand entrance into this world. At some point during that particular Sunday I was laughing like a fool while Russ and Dick were chasing a mouse around the house. That mouse even ran across the living room curtain rod in its effort to escape their clutches. I do believe that it was successful eventually.
Anyhow, late afternoon I became quite aware that labor had started and we headed for the hospital (Karen had arrived in two hours - thus time seemed of importance.) Once there I had to be wheelchaired to the "labor room" - but still feeling just fine I sort of jumped out of the wheelchair and climbed up onto the "labor bed" quite easily. I did tell the nurse that my doctor should be called. Maybe ten or fifteen minutes later a nurse came in to check my roommate and I suggested that she should check me while there as I knew there was major progress underway. She did a quick check and dashed out of the room hollering "call Dr. Jenks" and someone came and rushed me into the delivery room. Dr. J was there very soon after but was chatting with the nurses (as he scrubbed up ) and I said, "Dr. Jenks, you had better get over here!" and over he came and very soon after Shellie arrived. My labor had been all of 45 minutes.
As you all well know, Shellie has yet to slow down - what a wonderful spirit she has - and how seldom there is a dull moment when she is around. Happiest of birthdays Shellie - and many, many thanks for so many joyful memories. To say that I love you barely touches the surface.

No comments: