Tuesday, June 1, 2010

The call of the bridge table

Later today I am off for Sacramento to seek fame and fortune (Ha!) at the bridge table - just playing one day so I am limiting my chances. In years gone by I played six days of bridge at the Sac Regional Bridge Tournament and did likewise at many other bridge tournaments hither and yon. Russ fussed at me once about the money I was wasting. A few years later he informed me that he realized that "bridge is almost as complex as chess" - we followed that statement with a discussion of the differences, such as bridge requires awareness of what three others are doing which is frequently a great mystery. Anyhow, tomorrow I will play with Pete - a good partner from several years ago. He and his wife stayed with me during our little tournament several times and Pete, Chris(wife) and another couple and I went off to tournaments in Oregon etc. Always fun. Incidently, there is no fortune at bridge tournaments - just "master points" which are basically worthless. So you pay to play - plus meals, plus motel rooms and transportation - and, by the way, it was a great excuse to get up and go.

2 comments:

Janet said...

Good luck!

Shellie said...

I think Bridge playing is why you are so active and smart and have so many good friends... so... YAY for Bridge!