Sunday, December 14, 2008

How foolish is foolishness?

Yesterday, I took computer in hand to write an entry for my blog. There was no way some gremlin somewhere was going to allow that - I had to fill out some form - which I did complete with some none to friendly comments but it would not depart my computer. So I wrote an e-mail to the genuises that either live in my computer or in Lower Mongolia or who knows where. Today I (obviously) was able to sign-in without incident.
Well, I finally reconnected with Marge - a park resident who I knew in my HS years - she lived in Davenport, Iowa. Marge and I dated two V-12's that were also from Davenport and were stationed at Iowa State College in Ames, Iowa. What is a V-12 you ask? They were young men who were drafted and went into the Navy - had they continued in that education program they would have become officers. There were some thousands of them at Iowa State. I do not remember how I met Paul but we started dating the fall of 1943 til I went on my way when I headed for college in Am (whoops - I pushed the wrong button - see below!)
es the fall of 1944. Marge and I even went to the Great Lakes Naval Station the summer of 1944 to see our guys. There was no e-mail so Paul and I wrote daily letters to each other. (Stamps were 3 cents) So I went on my merry way and Paul ended up marrying Marge. Oh, yes - Marge and I first met at a summer camp for Presbyterian kids - neither of the guys were there - but another fellow from her area decided I was nifty and so I got to know all the kids from the Davenport/MolineIll. area .
Well, back to Marge - I had been warned that she had not aged well - it was quite a shock never-the-less. She is definitely a "little old lady" in appearance and manner. Truthfully, it was sad as we did have lots of fun when we were adorable teenagers. I promised her I would be over to see her after the holidays.
Well, that covers any and all exciting news and certainly is enough rambling.

2 comments:

Janet said...

Oh, that's interesting! :) I like hearing stories like that...

Shellie said...

Mom... what if she reads this blog??? A little old lady... her feeling might be crushed! Great story by the way, thanks for sharing!