Saturday, December 20, 2008

Snow Tires!

Greg's writing about having snow tires on his car reminded me of my Dad. He had four of the first snow tires, I believe. I know they were amazing tires. Anyhow, when there was no snow on the streets those tires sang. We would hear the singing tires from a block or two away and knew that Daddy was on his way home. It always made me feel happy to hear his tires. He only used them in the winter months.
How did we know the singing tires were his? Well, in the thirties there were not alot of cars in our neighbor hood and snow tires were even rarer. And, in fact, having a car was more unusual than not having one. Imagine - the teenagers survived! During the war years gas was rationed - teenagers again survived. We did alot of walking!
So now you know more than you ever wanted to know about snow tires and pathetic teenagers.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Mom,

I'm so glad you are sharing these stories! I really like them. I can easily picture just what you were describing -- and even "see" the house in my mind's eye, since we were there in 1999.

It IS hard to imagine that even in the early 30's it was unusual for people to have cars -- maybe because of the depression? (And therefore, did people still have horses -- I would think not in town -- or did they ride the street cars to work and grocery stores, etc??

Love,
Karen

PS See you Monday for our pre-Christmas insanity day with the shoppers of the world!