Thursday, December 25, 2008

Yes, the weather is frightful

Karen and Shellie were much on my mind all day the 24th and now early on Christmas morning. Twenty-seven years ago they sang "I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas" as the rain kept falling all day the 13th. That is, it kept falling until about 5:30 PM when it changed to snow. Now, that was a snowstorm. Later that Christmas eve, Russ, Karen, Shellie and Rich had made a snowman so huge that it was looking in the window with ease - the bottom of the window was at least 8 feet above ground. To add to the effect, they placed a large Mexican hat on the snowman - the type with a wavy brim. Christmas morning that hat had at least a foot of snow making it ever so impressive. On the ground - well, it measured at 28 inches. What a day! As I have often said, that snow was probably the best Christmas present the kids ever received - and the same goes for me. It was my favorite Christmas ever.

P.S. I am still waiting for the present rain to change to snow!

Another P.S. It looks like I am joining Karen and Barry and heading South and East for a week plus. If it works out, I will spend some time with sister-inlaw, Maryjane, at her son's home in "Surprize" Arizona.

1 comment:

Shellie said...

I remember that first Christmas in Grass Valley, too, Mom... and it was -GULP- 37 years ago, in 1971. My biggest part of the memory is the fact that all four of us went out and played in the snow BEFORE opening our stockings and gifts on Christmas morning... it sure was fun. Have a great time on your trip. I love you!